tisdag 8 mars 2011

Magic Gadgets of 2011

Years ago I picked up me guitar and went to a freind of mine with a "State of the art" music studio in His very own home. Stacks of Big computers connected to a 32 channel mixer and loads of other magic boxes. All with the purpose of recording sound over and over again.

So much better then a taperecorder My freind explained and I was there to belive in His words.
Me guitar was connected and I started to play. After app 20 seconds My producer freind said its enough. A while later I played yet a couple of bars.

My part of the recording session was completed even before it had begun! An hour later My freind played the final recording. I sounded exellent, but in My sense it wasnt a real recording.

The bars that Ive recorded was used as some kind of LEGO-bricks to produce the final result... not fun at all in my oppinion.



I went home and was once again using me TEAC 8-channel taperecorder. I played the whole song on channel 1 and then went to overdubbing until I thought the final result was good enough.



Everything changes and after using a Fostex XR-5 kassett porta studio with 4 channels that was showing the sign of wear I started to dream of something new, a computer program that could be used instead of the porta. A freind of mine told about KRISTAL, a free studioprogram that in a hurry was downloaded.



http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

To start with I was amased about the soundquality, but soon I was about to realise that the channels didnt sync. It sounded like each new channel was delayd by a split second. This asummtion from me was right. Soon I was to realise that I also needed a special soundcard.

The use of this what I hoped, perfect and at no cost studioprogram showed to be much more expensive then I thought in the first place. So before I can start using this exellent program again I have to go back to my trust worthy ole Fostex Porta unit.

Lucky for me another freind of mine gave me a couple of Cro2 cassettes, to use with the Porta, reducing the tape noice a lot.



Next project at the moment is to either buy or build a speaker cabinet suiteble to my VOX AD60 amplifier. That caused by the fact that the Line 6 75 watt combo that I bought with intention of using only its speaker and the cabinet show to be in perfect working condition. By now I intend to sell it, as I dont have any use for it.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar